Monday, November 3, 2008

Bugs.

I'm not a real fan of insects, but Edmund thinks they're marvelous. I am glad someone does, because this world needs exterminators, and entomologists fit the bill—like this guy, author of the blog Yucky Nasty Bug Facts. Check out his videos, they're an 8 year-old boy's dream.

Anyhoo, I thought I'd post a couple of insect pictures from this summer. We had a lot of cicadas, for some reason. I thought they were only supposed to show up once every 17 years, but we've seen them every year since we moved to Kentucky. They make quite a racket.

Here is one, just out of its shell, hanging on the side of our chicken coop:

Here's a crane fly, on our kitchen table:

Sometimes I feel like we run a Bug Motel or Insect Hostel around here, what with the creatures we have showing up at the hands of Edmund. I can't complain too much, though. They are easier to deal with than the snake he left coiled up "resting" on a board in Lucy's room about three years ago.

What about you? Is there something you do for love that you wouldn't normally, if you could help it?

No comments: