Sunday, March 28, 2010

21 Chickens in My Bathroom.

It's true. There are 21 hen chicks in my bathroom. They've been there since the beginning of March. This is what they looked like then.

Aren't they cute? Isn't the newspaper CLEAN? They were so easily cared for way back then, four weeks ago. Such fluffy little creeters.

This is what they look like now.


They require multiple water changes and destroy the newspaper as soon as we lay it down. Eventually, these gals will be laying beautiful eggs: some brown, some speckled, and some even greenish-blue! In the meanwhile, they'll stay in their cage atop my bathtub, making quite a racket until their feathers grow in and they can move to their permanent digs outside. And I? Well, I content myself dreaming of their future eggs, with deep yellow yolks and lovely shells.

3 comments:

The Nichols Family said...

Oh I want to come see them. Juliet loves chickens! I'm so excited. I wish we could have chickens in our yard but I think Fayatte Co would get us.

Susan said...

Actually, you can have hens in your backyard in Fayette County! (Just not rooters.) You have enough room. I think you should do it. :)

Tracy said...

Ahh. I love free range eggs. A friend of mine has hens that lay brown and green eggs. I buy them from her and my daughters love the green eggs because they think they are eating green eggs and ham. LOL.
Anyways, nothing better than organic eggs. So much better than the store bought ones.