Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Santa's Geographical Conundrum

Edmund has decided that it makes no sense for Santa to be from the North Pole.

Let me backtrack a bit. This morning at breakfast, Lucy offered up the tidbit of info that reindeer come from Russia, and therefore Santa Claus must be Russian. This led to a discussion of how reindeer roam in Alaska, Canada, and Scandinavia as well.

Edmund thought a bit and declared the South Pole far better suited for the jolly old elf. After all, he reasoned, the North Pole is water and the South Pole is land.

Makes sense.

Now then, should global warming affect the North Pole so drastically that Santa's digs break up and float southward, will anyone rescue him from his iceberg as he floats by, waving for help?

6 comments:

Ruskin said...

I have a few more questions for Santa if I ever meet him....

The Animator's Wife said...

yeah... I'm thinking your kids have inherited your distinct reasoning skills...

do you remember the 30 minute conversation on the merits vs. hindrances of wind shield wipers???

Susan said...

For some reason that stimulating interchange has slipped my mind.... :-)

The Animator's Wife said...

Driving to pick-up after school today I finally got the Edmund and Lucy part of this joke. I started laughing out-of-the-blue and my kids all thought I'd lost it.

Very good! Who else would follow Peter and Susan?

Rosetta said...

I respectfully disagree with Edmund and will make my case as follows.

If reindeer can be found in Russia, Alaska, Canada, and Scandinavia then it makes more sense for Santa Clause to recruit from places closer to where he lives. Also just because we cannot see the land that Santa live on, does not mean that he is not there. After all Santa is one who likes to be unseen and it makes perfectly logical sense that no one would be able to discover his land. Santa's method of transportation allows him to get to places which would be hard for a boat, plane, submarine, and/or helicopter.

Additionally, I have made the mistake of thinking that Santa actually is on land instead of the very real possibility that Santa's workshop is hidden below the surface, after all Santa has had tons of time and magic to make his home exactly how he wants it.

I do say that I feel sorry for those roaming reindeer because somewhere along the way Santa did not pick them to drive his sled. I hope they understand that everyone has an important role and that they can still make a difference in other reindeer's lives especially if those reindeer decide to follow Jesus with all their reindeer heart. By this time anyone reading this will think I am a nut and maybe that is true but I do not have the disclosure to confirm or deny any such statements.

Thank you for your devout attention while reading this, I wish you all a very Merry Christmas.

Susan said...

Rosie, you're a nut! :-)